How to wash cashmere? How to care fro cashmere? Question many ask before investing into a piece of cashmere. High maintenance, luxury, and fragile are maybe the first thoughts that come to mind when people think of cashmere. Whilst cashmere is undeniably one of the more delicate fabrics, don’t let these thoughts stop you from investing into something that truly screams quality and class. With just a little bit more attention and care, it’s a breeze to keep cashmere in shape. Just like keeping any piece of garment for as long as possible, treat your cashmere in the correct way and it will last in your wardrobe forever.
Caring for cashmere comes in three parts. Here we have complied three steps to care for your cashmere- how to wash, dry and store cashmere. Cleaning cashmere at home is hassle-free, just follow the below steps
Step one: Wash
Hand washing and dry cleaning are the most recommended ways to clean your cashmere piece. People often have the question; can you wash cashmere? And the answer is certainly yes. Hand washing your cashmere is so easy and much safer than machinery cleaning. Here we have the detailed instructions and some tips and tricks along the way.
- Fill a basin with lukewarm water (hot water can shock the material causing it to shrink and cold water won’t be as effective)
- Add mild soap or fabric shampoo to the water (don’t go overboard and use less than normal for easier rinse out)
- Submerge the cashmere in the liquid and let it sit for a few minutes
- Swirl it around and gentle massage areas that require extra attention (if necessary)
- Drain and submerge with a new basin of lukewarm water and let sit for a few minutes
- Repeat the process until water runs clean and bubble-free
- Remove excess water by clumping it into a loose ball (make sure not to wring the fabric!)
- Press the fabric against the basin surface to remove residual water
Step two: Dry
Not drying your cashmere right is the biggest problem people experience when cleaning it. You will need to follow a few crucial steps to make sure your cashmere stays in shape.
- Lay on dry towel, roll up like a swiss roll and apply some pressure (make sure this is done gentle, don’t over stress the fabric)
- If the piece is especially thick repeat a few times until there is minimal residual water
- Lay out flat on a surface on top of a dry towel and dry in the shade (direct sunlight will distort the fabric)
Step three: Store
Knowing how to store cashmere is the key to prolonging its lifespan. Cashmere is not high maintenance to store, as long as you get these steps correct you won’t need to worry about them sitting in the wardrobe.
- Never hang, always fold. The shape of the hanger enforced with gravity will change the original shape of the fit
- Fold and store your cashmere in a drawer or shelf that is moisture free
- Make sure to always clean before storing away at the end of the season, as moths get attracted to body scents and perfumes etc.
- Use cedar balls or cashmere spray too keep unworn cashmere fresh
Cashmere care products
It is essential to choose the right products to clean and store your cashmere. We have compiled some of our best picks that pair well with Alchemy story products (with the best outcomes and value).
The Laundress wool and cashmere shampoo | $26 AUD
What should your first Cashmere investment be?
Before investing into luxury, people are often hesitant due to the abundance in products. At Alchemy story, we provide customers with the finest quality of Himalayan cashmere at the best value. For your first piece we would recommend our cashmere scarfs that are lightweight, yet cozy and soft. They come in three different colours, mustard, black and grey. The neutral colour scheme of this collection fits well with any type of outfit. Scarfs are a staple addition to every outfit and size isn’t intimidating when cleaning and caring for it.
It's a Wrap
Do you feel much more confident to purchase some cashmere now that you are fully equipped with the ultimate cashmere care guide? You’ll feel so cozy and classy during the season, head over to our store for your cashmere supply.