New year, new you. Why not build a sustainable wardrobe you can truly be proud of? Sustainability has become a trend in the fashion industry and the wave will continue to grow in 2021. More and more brands are using “sustainability” and “eco-friendly” as an eye-catcher to differentiate themselves from other brands. The added corporate social responsibility has become an important component during a consumer’s decision-making process, but what exactly is sustainability? And how can you build a more sustainable wardrobe?
But can fashion be sustainable? The answer is yes! With quality raw materials and a conscious production process many brands are striving in sustainability. Sustainable fashion brands exist in all sizes, from international luxury label Stella McCartney to smaller local labels like Alchemy story. We all endeavour to treat our environment the best we can and at the best of our ability. The movement of sustainability is not about being perfect but being a part of it.
What makes a fashion brand sustainable?
The definition of sustainability is in fact a broad spectrum with no exact answer. Here is our take on defining sustainability. Also check out our previous blogs to understand similar topics such as slow fashion and ethical fashion.
You can learn more about what makes a brand sustainable by checking out our blog on ‘What is slow fashion’.
- Ecological consciousness during the production process. This is when the brand puts in effort to reduce usage of resources such as water and chemicals when manufacturing. It’s about developing new technologies to save limited resources that could be used to produce others. Sustainable approaches occur in every area in the supply chain from the initial stages of production to the final stages of transportation.
- Considers the whole product cycle from the raw materials, design, manufacturing, marketing, packaging and the final sale.
- Conveying an attitude to its consumers that allows sustainability to happen beyond fashion. The awareness of sustainability occurs everywhere and everyday that closely relates to daily events such as what you use to pack lunch or how long you take in the shower.
How to make your wardrobe more sustainable?
Here we have created 5 simple steps to creating your own sustainable wardrobe.
1.Taking care of clothes already in our wardrobe.
Being just a little bit careful with wearing and storing your clothes will increase its lifespan. Consider hand washing or use lower temperatures and less water settings when washing them with machinery.
2. Be selective and attentive
In a nutshell this simply means quality over quantity. Understanding the fabrics and care instructions of the clothing to determine how long it will stay in your wardrobe.
3. Choose high quality clothes that will last you longer
Invest into timeless pieces that are made with quality fabrics that will last you a lifetime!
4. Buy pre-loved items
By shopping vintage and second-hand clothing it extends the lifespan of a pre-loved. Although it is hard to find everything second-hand but you will surely find something.
5. Reach out to brand and ask questions
Ask brands directly when you are unsure of what has been claimed. The more informed you are, the more wiser decisions are made. We are easily found through direct messaging on social media, reach out to us if you have any concerns.
Better choices, lead to a better world. Although not everyone can do all of the above steps, however everyone can follow some of the five steps mentioned above and do their part. At Alchemy Story we only share quality handloom Cashmere and natural fibre clothing, effortlessly chic and comfortable handcrafted clothing made to live in. Check out our range scarfs, blankets, travel wraps and ponchos made with the finest quality of Himalayan cashmere that will last you years. For new additions to your sustainable wardrobe head over to our store to start shopping.